No, that’s not a typo: I know it’s 80 days in the book and
the movie, but not in our case. And it’s
not that we’re going to take 100 days to travel around the whole world
either. What’s happening is that our
family will be moving to the other side of the world in exactly 100 days:
different continent, different hemisphere, different culture…!
We’ve struggled financially over the past few years and have
held on as long as we could. Our reality
is that we’re just not making it to the end of the month and our debt is
continually growing, so we have needed to make the decision of moving to Chile, my
husband’s home country.
Don’t worry: we have a house there, my husband already has a
new job description for this transition, and we know there will be people
helping us out on both sides with the move.
But it’s still hard.
I’ve lived in this part of the world since I was 4 years old and my
husband has been here for 10 years now.
We’ve both travelled considerably and seen many different parts of the
globe, but our life together as a couple, with our children, with friendships
as a family in our community, is here and has been for a long time.
And don’t get me wrong: It’s not that I’m sad about leaving
the comfort (because it will probably be more comfortable in Chile in some ways) or the familiarity (because
I’ve really enjoyed Chile
on previous visits there and I do like new adventures). What’s hard is thinking about leaving specific
people here that we care about; it’s always been about the people. I know in this day and age with technology,
sometimes you even spend more time communicating with people on another continent
than with your own neighbors… but Skype, Facebook, and email just aren’t the
same as face-to-face conversations, hugs, shared meals, etc. Not having that physical contact will be
hard.
Nine years ago, I was on a ferry leaving this city, not
knowing if/when I’d be coming back…, but while glancing back at the place I’d
grown up in, I felt God clearly give me peace and reassure me that I’d be back
soon. And sure enough, three months
later I moved back to town and this has continued being my home for these past
ten years.
This time around is different though because God hasn’t
reassured me that we’ll be coming back anytime soon. But, what hasn’t changed this time around is
that God has filled me with peace again.
Sometimes I feel so weak and powerless, sometimes the uncertainty of the
future is so frustrating, sometimes I feel like I “need” to know what we’ll be
doing a year from now so that we can plan ahead as a family… But in those moments, the Word of God
reassures me:
- God says: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).
- “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
God has always led and cared for us in the past, He is
leading and caring for our family in the present, and I have no doubt that He will
continue to lead and care for us in the future.
I don’t believe this because it’s easy to believe, but because it’s the
truth. And that truth sets my husband
and myself free from so much of the anxiety, frustration and fear that
uncertainties in life (like this transition) can bring. We can keep pressing forward, doing what we
need to do, knowing that God is in control.
So, as we are preparing to move, I hope and pray that our
lives in this city have shown a different way of living as individuals, as a
couple and as a family. I hope that the
many friends that we’ve gotten to know and spent time with over the years
wouldn’t just see us as people who are “good” or “religious” or “moral”, but
that they would really have seen God’s love and truth in us and through us. Not because we are perfect but because God is
so good & gracious, and His love has changed us and continues to change us
daily. And my biggest hope and prayer is
that each of these many friends come to a point in their lives where they
recognize that they can’t make it on their own, that without God’s grace life
just isn’t complete. That only by
accepting and clinging to God’s love & truth can true peace, joy &
meaning in life be found.
Though the transition will be hard in many ways because of
what we are leaving, I am also so excited about what is coming next! I’m excited about this new adventure as a
family, thrilled about being with family and friends in Chile, and ready
to enjoy getting to know that beautiful land and culture even more! It may not be an easy transition, but it will
be a good transition because God is good, and because of that I am very
excited!
So now the countdown begins: 102, 101, 100…
No comments:
Post a Comment