Monday, February 10, 2014

give me patience! or a drink…


“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).

Believe it or not, there are times when I know that I’m lacking a bit in one or more of these nine virtues (smile).  OK, so I’m always lacking in all of them, to different degrees, as is every other human being on earth, I believe. 

But there are days when I know I am being especially impatient or unkind or non-joyful…  And on those days, if you were listening in or could read my mind, you’d probably hear something like, “God, give me patience!” multiple times throughout the day.

But I was thinking the other day, though it sounds good to beg God to grant me patience, maybe that’s not what I should actually be asking. 

Because it says in that verse that patience (and the rest of those virtues) is like a fruit that the Spirit produces, which I guess by analogy means that I’m like a tree where this fruit can grow if He is in me.  So, if God is the gardener who has planted these seeds of virtues in me by His Spirit, I shouldn’t be asking for more seeds or for the fruit itself.  I should be asking for more water and more sunshine.  I should be seeking a consistent supply of Living Water and daily exposure to the Light: Jesus. 

Asking God to make me patient vs. asking God to make me more connected to (and by result, an imitator of) Jesus, who is patient.  Maybe that doesn’t sound like too big of a distinction.  But for me, it represents a reminder that what I’m seeking isn’t the product but the source.  The main concern isn’t the fruit but the roots, the nutrients.  Because when the roots are well nourished and taken care of, the fruit will come and it will be good.

So, God, please fill me with the desire to live this day connected to Jesus, who is the Living Water & the true Light.  And I know that walking with Jesus throughout the normal routines of the day, drinking in what I see in Him even in the mundane, the fruit of the Spirit will grow and flourish, for Your glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment