I fall into the comparison game a lot, mostly subconsciously: comparing my life with others’, comparing my kids with other children, comparing the past with the present or future… I know I shouldn’t, but I do sometimes, or many times. And the thing is that comparison leads to frustration, pride, worry…, pretty much nothing actually worth spending time on.
“The grass is always greener on the other side…” But what if
it isn’t? What if I purposefully decide to not compare? Because quite frankly,
there will always be some that have it harder than I do and others that have it
easier (or at least appear to), but honestly, harder or easier isn’t the point.
I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, I can’t please everyone, there are
always more things ‘to-do’ during the day than I have time for, and there are
so many things in life that I just can’t control anyway. And comparing or trying to reach some sort of ‘normal’
standard will only frustrate me (and through that, my husband and children).
So, I really just need to enjoy the greenness of the grass that I’ve been given.
And really, this grass is beautiful.
I am inspired by those that I know who really are struggling
with tough situations, and yet decide to not complain, but instead decide to
see the absolute beauty of the grass they’ve been given, even in the struggles.
They really have learned to be content, and it is inspiring to see them not
play the comparison game but rather enjoy each stage for what it is: treating
each day as a gift, each child as unique, and each challenge as an opportunity
to grow.
Likewise, I don’t want to waste the greenness of my grass
during this season by comparing it to another field. This season, this
particular shade of green, will only happen once. There may be difficult or frustrating things
going on, but the blessings do outweigh the struggles, the opportunities to
smile outnumber the disappointments, and the joys outshine the sorrows.
So, rather than crossing off a few of the items on my
never-ending to-do list right now, I’m going to spend a couple hours enjoying
Saturday morning cartoons and snuggles with my three little love-bugs. Because
the grass has never been this green, and I’m so grateful for what I have! Life is good, because God is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment