I get so frustrated by little things. I mean, really
insignificant stuff in the big scheme of things. Like this past Monday, which
felt like a terrible, frustrating day. In reality, the worst things that
happened were: 1) we couldn’t find the girls’ pencil cases so we started school
super late, 2) the little bit we did get done was not very good quality as I
struggled to get my 6-year-old to even understand what I wanted her to do,
while her siblings were vying for attention too, 3) my 8-month-old was fussy
and uncooperative during school-time and basically the rest of the day, 4) the
kids and I went through and “organized” all of their toys, but it took waaaaay
too long and I felt extremely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of them and lack
of good storage options, and 5) the baby didn’t go to sleep at his normal time
at night but rather two hours later (probably due to a tummy issue), and this all
on a day when I really “needed” to get some R&R….
Nothing earth-shattering, but by my personal standards, it
was a frustrating day. Very much so. I felt like I got nothing done, nothing
accomplished, and actually reverted back a few weeks in some areas (schooling,
sleep schedule…). It may not have been anything terrible that happened, but it
felt like a failure of a day, and I hate failing. So, hence the frustration.
My hubby even tried to give me a pep-talk that evening:
“Now, realize that you’re filtering this day through a really negative
perspective, and after you’ve rested you’ll see that it wasn’t actually such an
end-of-the-world day…”. And I knew he was right, but I was also just soooo
frustrated. And disappointed. So I really just wanted to cry (which I finally
did later in the middle of the night when my little one wouldn’t go to sleep at
a decent time).
I know in my head that those kinds of days aren’t as
terrible as they seem. But I feel so responsible for the progression of my
kids’ education, for their personal development & spiritual growth, for the
state of our house… So in the days when things don’t even remotely come
together as I had planned, I have this feeling (that sometimes lingers for
hours) that everything is going to fall apart, that I’m going to lose my
bearings, that I’m losing control…
But today I’m reminded of something that was brought to my
attention quite forcefully a couple weeks ago when our 8-month-old had his
first-ever bad cold:
Our baby boy had woken up in the middle of the night
coughing, and since his nose was plugged he was having a hard time breathing. In
his sleep that night he had been breathing through his mouth automatically (for
the first time ever since he hadn’t needed to before). But when he woke up he
didn’t know how to breathe through his mouth on purpose so kept struggling to
try to get air through his plugged nostrils. This effort caused him to cough
more, which made him gasp for air, which couldn’t come in, which made him cough...
To say this vicious cycle was terrifying for me would be a huge understatement.
After failed attempts at cleaning his nose, I was on the
verge of waking my husband up so we could take our littlest son to the ER. But before doing that I decided to forget
about his nose and just try to calm him down a bit, so started walking my
little one around the room, talking reassuringly to him, patting his back,
trying to get him to relax enough to breathe through his mouth again on his
own. And, to my overwhelming relief, it started working!! He calmed down,
stopped gasping, took good, deep breaths through his mouth, and in a few
minutes fell back to sleep in my arms…
It probably doesn’t even need to be stated, but that whole
time, for those seemingly eternal few minutes of struggled breathing, I was
begging, begging God to help me, to give me wisdom, to save my baby: “Please, God, give him breath! LET HIM
BREATHE!” In that moment I felt so
small, so helpless. Yes, I could try to clean his nose, I could try to calm him
down, I could give him baby CPR if he needed it, and I could obviously take him
to the hospital if nothing else worked… but I couldn’t make his lungs work. I
couldn’t make his mouth inhale. I couldn’t
actually make him breathe…
I’m not God. I can’t keep my baby alive. I mean, I can do
things to help him along this path of life and to try to keep him safe, but I
don’t hold his life in my hands at an existential level. I can’t make his heart
beat, his brain transmit signals, his lungs fill up with air… I can’t actually
give life. I cannot make him breathe.
Again, it’s so obvious. And yet, so often I pretend like I’m
really in control. And I freak out when I realize how not-in-control I am. I
get frustrated when others don’t follow my “divine” plan. But that’s just it:
it’s not divine. It’s just my human plan, and usually it’s not even that
important. And if it doesn’t work out, it’s not the end of the world. Because
I’m not really in control. The earth is still spinning even though Monday’s
school-time was lacking. The universe didn’t implode just because we still
don’t have a good toy-sorting system in the kids’ room. There wasn’t a global
crisis because it took us two hours to find pencil cases. Those things don’t
matter at all in the big scheme of things.
We have life, we have hope, we have purpose, we have
meaning. That’s what matters, and none of it comes from me. I do have
responsibilities of course, but God gives breath, not me. And though that
humbles me on the one hand, on the other hand it takes a gigantic weight off my
shoulders.
Our baby boy is doing great now; thank God, he’s happy and
healthy! But in the middle of normal frustrations of daily life, like on Monday,
I don’t want to lose sight of the important lesson learned: Don’t take
breathing for granted. Someday, you and I will take our last breath here. So,
let’s make the most of every breath we take, without freaking out about the
minor details of daily life. Let’s look at the big picture: Today, I’m
breathing, and so are you, and that in and of itself an enormous gift and a
reason to celebrate.
Lady! This was definitely one of many things I needed to hear as I freak out trying to teach our 18 y.o. how to "breathe" in life and know that he must choose to breathe himself, that we have offered him as many skills and supports as possible, we've modeled it to him, and so much more, but he must CHOOSE to breathe. And...I can choose to breathe in the midst of his struggle to breathe. I can breathe and pray, breathe and pray...breathe and pray some more. Thank You, Jesus, for that! And, thanks, Karissa, for the reminders. Glad He teaches you through it all!
ReplyDeleteGod bless and lead you guys as you teach and lead him! Keep breathing ☺️ Hugs from Chile, Friend!
DeleteThanks for your encouragement, Karissa! I always enjoy it. As a fellow homeschooling mom, I can really relate to this post. Kristen
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks Kristen! I'm glad you could relate to the post! And keep up the good work with your little ones!! 😘
Delete